Tuesday, November 20, 2012

John DeBella Thankful for 30 Years on Philly Radio

Greater Media Classic Rock WMGK-FM, Philadelphia, morning host John DeBella is celebrating 30 years on the air in the City of Brotherly Love. He arrived in Philly, first at WMMR-FM as morning host, coming from WLIR-FM, Long Island. "When I came to Philadelphia, I remember the first day of driving around here," DeBellas tells Philly.com's Chuck Darrow. "I'm driving my car and listening to 'MMR just looking at the area and the radio is playing everything [Rock] that radio stations in America are playing, plus Robert Hazard, plus The Hooters, plus Alan Mann plus The A's," he said, referring to local musical acts the station supported in the early 1980s. On the Island, every [high-profile] band was a cover band. There was no original music coming out of the Island. So when I came down here and heard all that, I fell in love, musically, with the city first." Darrow, a Daily News staff writer, showcases an in-depth look at DeBella's long history in Philadelphia radio, the ups and downs and rebounds, including his famous on-air battle with Howard Stern when Stern was airing opposite him on WYSP-FM. But as he celebrates 30 years on Philly radio, DeBella can give thanks for his long (and successful) run as a market radio personality. And, at 62, he has no current plans to call it quits. "Every time I sign a new deal, I'm convinced it's the last one. But I'm gonna keep doing this as long as someone wants me. Or as long as I hold up."

Celebrating 30 Years

No comments:

Post a Comment