Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Mark Kassof: 'Listeners P1 Station: Like Themselves'

Some 71% of P1 radio listeners prefer a station that's "on their level" over one they can "look up to." In a new "Listener Think" report, Mark Kassof writes, "When I was a budding young jock in Marinette, Wisconsin, I wanted to be a 'star.' We broadcast from a storefront on Main Street, and I dressed for the part, trying to look cool. Boy, did I have it wrong. As I've since learned, the vast majority of 18-64 listeners prefer stations they can relate to, not look up to! We found this again in our recent online P1 study." When Mark Kassof and Company asked respondents which they prefer, nearly three-fourths indicated they want a station that "is on their level." Only 19% want one they can "look up to." But Kassof notes, "There are differences by format, though. Christian station P1s stand out as the exception, with more than half saying their station is like a person they look up to. With other formats, the differences are just a case of degree. A notably higher-than-average percentage (but still a minority) of News Talk and Public Radio station P1s see their station like a person they look up to, while AC and Rock station P1s are the most 'on my level' listeners." He offers a breakdown of the specific stats in his post at this location. Kassof concludes, "By the way, you might find it funny that we offered the option of a station like a person listeners 'look down on.' I know I do. But I learned early in my research career that it's important to offer respondents balanced options. There’s always some respondents that will take the contrarian view, and this question is no exception. (I guess looking down on the station you listen to most is one way of building self-esteem!)"

No comments:

Post a Comment