Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Boston's WEEI Officially Announces Mike Salk as New Afternoon Co-Host

Boston's WEEI Officially Announces Mike Salk as Afternoon Co-Host

Mike Salk

We already knew it, and we reported it previously -- but now Entercom Sports Talk WEEI-FM, Boston, makes the official announcement that Mike Salk will return to Boston to co-host afternoons with Michael Holley from 2-6 pm, beginning in mid-March. Salk replaces Glenn Ordway who was ousted last week as co-host of "The Big Show" as Entercom began a shake-up in the midst of falling ratings for WEEI-FM. At the time, we reported that Salk would return to Boston from "710 AM ESPN" KIRO-AM, Seattle, to replace Ordway, although WEEI wasn't ready to confirm that at the time, saying only that Holley "will serve as host of 'The Big Show' for the "foreseeable future." Salk, a Boston area native, previously aired in Boston on "890 ESPN Radio" from 2005 until 2009. Now, in a news release, WEEI-FM makes the official announcement that Salk will join Holley in afternoons. “For a kid who grew up rooting for Boston’s sports teams, I can’t wait to get behind that microphone and connect with the most avid sports fans in the country,” says Salk. “From the best play-by-play in radio to their breakthrough work with the Jimmy Fund, WEEI is still the gold standard in sports talk radio. I’m especially excited to talk Bruins hockey. I grew up a rabid Bruins fan and have great memories from the old Boston Garden. My wife might not know it yet, but our 1-year old daughter will be wearing a lot of black and gold in the future. Teaming up with someone as hard-working, gifted and passionate about his craft as Michael Holley makes this situation even better for me returning home. I can’t wait to get to work.” And says Holley: “Mike is energetic, has a tireless work ethic, and believes in having a show that is accessible to all audiences. I’m looking forward to sharing some of the talks we’ve had with our listeners. I think that they’ll find the new show to be fast, fun and smart. I would be remiss if I didn’t mention what a tremendous blessing it was to work with Glenn Ordway for nearly three years. It didn’t take us long to develop a bond, and I believe that mutual respect could be detected on the air. I anticipate a similar connection with Mike.” Entercom Boston VP of Programming Jason Wolfe tells us, “Mike Salk has a proven record of success, and I couldn’t be more excited to bring him back home to Boston. He’s a very skilled broadcaster, a fun personality and a passionate sports fan. I’m really looking forward to the new dynamic that he and Michael Holley will provide on a daily basis."



No comments:

Post a Comment